Monday, April 16, 2012

Grain-Free Day 16: Over Halfway There

Yesterday marked the halfway point in my 30-day grain-free journey.  It was a good opportunity to monitor my progress so I went through the complete array of measurements.  Scale weight, a seven-site skin fold test for body fat, and circumference measurements of the chest/waist/hip/arm/thigh/calf - the works.  After the close encounter with the tape measure and feverishly scratching down an assortment of numbers, I rushed to compare them to the ones taken April 1st. 

Drum roll please...

fingers crossed

Zero. 

Zilch. 

Nada. 

Nothing. 

No change (other than a four pound weight loss that was acquired while in Cancun).

My weight held normal for me, my body fat is still 15 percent, and all my circumference measurements were relatively the same.  There have been no noticeable changes in my energy levels or sleep quality either.  However, I am happy to report I hit two personal records in my training.  I deadlifted 150 percent and bench pressed 90 percent of my body weight.  Not too shabby for a girl with a crooked spine who has to always play it safe!

Would I have completed those lifts if I were eating grains?  Probably.  Am I frustrated that I've seen absolutely no other results?  Not really.  My curious mind is treating this all like an experiment and I didn't have any great expectations.  Since nothing happened, am I going to give up?  Not a chance.  Dramatic results are unlikely in a mere 15 days.  Real results come in subtle changes that add up over time through consistent actions. 

Napoleon Hill once said, "Most people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure."   

Fourteen more days to go!


No comments: