Thursday, April 12, 2012

Grain-Free Day 12: Sample 2-Day Meal Plans

With almost 12 days down on my grain-free experiment I'm sensing you may be wondering what exactly I'm eating on a day to day basis.  Below is what I had yesterday and what I have prepped for the remainder of today. 

Both of these are work days for me so I'm a little more structured when compared to a non-working day.  I pack all my meals for work which are usually leftovers from previous nights' dinner.  I always cook in bulk so there's something convenient for the following day. 

The days I train, I tend to consume more calories and more carbohydrates.  Day 11 was a rest day and Day 12 was a training day so you'll notice a difference in calorie consumption.  Typically, I don't count calories at all but for this post's purposes I estimated them to demonstrate just how much I actually eat. 

Day 11:  Wednesday, April 11th

Meal 1
  • 1 cup mint green tea
  • 1 1/2 all-natural chicken apple sausages
  • small handful of almonds
Meal 2
  • palm-sized portion of baked chicken breast with pesto
  • 1 cup green beans lightly tossed with olive oil
  • 1 apple
Meal 3
  • 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder in water
  • 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese with 1/2 cup strawberries
Meal 4
  • palm-sized portion of grilled chicken breast
  • 1/4 red pepper, 1/4 green pepper, and 1/4 cup cucumber with 2 tbsp hummus
Meal 5
  • 3 whole eggs plus 1 egg white scrambled with 1/2 cup spinach/mushrooms/onion and 1 oz pepper jack cheese
  • 1 cup brewed iced green tea
  • 3 grams fish oil, 1 multi-vitamin
Meal 6
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk and 2 pieces of dark chocolate
2,031 calories (40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbohydrates)


Day 12:  Thursday, April 12th

Meal 1
  • 1 cup mint green tea
  • 1 cup 2% cottage cheese with 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Meal 2 (post-workout)
  • 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder in water
  • 1 apple
  • 1 banana
Meal 3
  • palm-sized portion of baked chicken breast with pesto
  • 1.5 cups roasted kale lightly tossed with olive oil
  • 1/2 baked sweet potato
Meal 4
  • palm-sized portion of grilled chicken breast
  • 2 cups spinach and veggie salad with 1 oz natural, olive oil-based vinaigrette dressing
Meal 5
Meal 6
2,242 calories (36% protein, 39% fat, 25% carbohydrates)

So there you have it.  I am not just scraping by eating rabbit food.  There's plenty of options available and my calorie consumption is still above 2,000 to support my active lifestyle.  Not too shabby!

No comments: