Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Learn More to Earn More

 "Learn more to earn more" is one of Jack Canfield's, motivational speaker and author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, success principles.  Successful people never stop learning and put constant effort into education.  Not only do you gain a wealth of factual information, it can serve to inspire your own creative ideas and solutions to get you where you want to be.

The wisest people are the ones who admit they don't know it all.  That being said, one of my resolutions for 2012 is to read more.  (Actually, I'd prefer to call it a commitment rather than a resolution.  "Resolution" seems almost synonymous with failure and that's not the category I plan on falling into.) 

I have several books loaded up on my Kindle, three audio books on my iPod to listen to on my commute, and a couple hard copies in queue on my bookshelf in the office.  They include everything from fitness research to positive psychology to increasing wealth to biographies of influential people (see below for the list).  Yeah, I'm going to be busy for awhile.  My purpose is to learn anything and everything that can help me be better at what I love to do: inspire people to improve their health and realize their full potential.

The same principle can apply to you and your health goals.  Whether you want to improve your eating habits, lose 20 pounds of fat, gain 10 lbs of muscle, or complete a half marathon a little education on the subject could go a long way. 

You wouldn't purchase a new car without doing some reading consumer reports.  You also wouldn't interview for a job without researching the company you're interviewing with.  So you probably won't fare well trying to achieve a health goal without any idea what to do. 

Don't approach it blindly.  Learn what methods are effective and safe.  Having this information in your back pocket will boost your confidence significantly.  What's there to lose?  Worst case scenario is you appear smarter than all your friends because you're reading rather killing brain cells watching reality TV.  Best case is you put the information into action and earn more quality years to your life. 



On my Kindle:
On my iPod:
On my bookshelf:

2 comments:

Valery said...

eBooks and audiobooks! Look at you!! :)

Amanda Kopeski, MPH said...

I know, right? Who am I?!?