Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Body Weight Blitz

I know this time of year is tough.  Schedules are tight and priorities are elsewhere.  I myself will be making two trips this month, one to Florida to see my parents and one to Pennsylvania to see the rest of my family.  While I am over-the-moon-excited for both, I can't help but think how the holiday travel will throw a wrench into my normal training. 

If you're in the same boat, accept that you may not be able to complete your training to its maximum potential this time of year.  But also refuse to cave in to an "all or nothing" attitude.  Something is always better than nothing.

Here's a quick body weight circuit that requires minimal equipment which makes it perfect for travel or time crunches.  Go through and complete 3 reps each of A through E.  Repeat, this time with 6 reps.  Then 9, then 12.  Finally, work back down the ladder and do another 12, 9, 6, and 3.  Try to complete the entire series as quickly as possible.

A.  Push ups
B.  Squat Jumps
C.  Rows*
D.  Glute Bridges
F.  Tuck Jumps**

I did TRX rows and elevated my feet on a chair for the glute bridges.  I completed it all in 15:06.  The first round or two were definitely deceiving.  It isn't the most challenging thing I've ever done, but it's great if you're in a pinch.  If you have access to more equipment, add in the extra resistance to increase the intensity.

* Rows are tricky because they require some sort of equipment or special set up.  You could do dumbbell rows as shown above, inverted rows if you have a bar to hang from, or TRX rows which is what I did.

** Stand with your elbows by your side, bent at 90 degrees, and palms facing the floor.  Jump and tuck the knees up to touch your hands.  Be sure to take off and land from both feet at the same time.



Don't forget to check with your physician before starting an exercise program.  Always include an adequate warm-up.

No comments: