Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hot Spinach and Bean Dip

Before I unveil this week's tailgate recipe of deliciousness, I need to mini-rant for a second.  I am fully aware my photography skills and subsequent camera equipment is sub-par and for some reason, my camera decided it wanted to test my patience.  Not only has it been eating through batteries faster than a ten year old inhales their candy on Halloween, but it decided that fully opening its shutter is just far too taxing.  So please disregard the black corners in all my photos.  It is not paranormal activity, it is just the shutter dangling from the upper corner.  Please keep your fingers crossed that Santa will maybe bring me a new camera of better quality as an early Christmas gift.  And also an iced tea brewer and a power rack.

Spinach is super nutritious, so much so I could write an entire blog post on it.  I eat it on an almost daily basis.  Yet somewhere, someone thought it would be a good idea to mix it with a block of cream cheese, a bucket of mayo, more cheese, and then heat it up.  Ok, so it is delicious that way but all those extras kind of negate the spinach. 

I was inspired by a recipe on Skinnytaste (great website, by the way), but still wanted to put my own touch on it.   My version further reduces the amount of mayo used and adds some beans to enhance the nutritional content.  More fiber?  More protein?  Sign me up!

Hot Spinach and Bean Dip
  • 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup small white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup fat free sour cream
  • 1/4 cup light mayo
  • 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 Roma tomato, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Make sure to really squeeze the spinach well to remove any excess liquid.  Combine all ingredients, except tomato, in a bowl and mix well.

personal photo

Place mixture into baking dish and top with tomatoes.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.  Serve with multi grain chips or veggie sticks.  Enjoy!
personal photo

Penn State has this weekend off which gives them plenty of time to welcome the Cornhuskers to the Big 10 next week!

Love ya, lions!

No comments: