Thursday, September 8, 2011

Spicy Steakhouse Burgers with Blue Cheese & Healthy Snack Chips

It's still early enough in the season to grill outside so burgers are on the menu for this week!  This menu is a grown up version of chips and burgers, on a health kick of course.

Potato and Kale Chips with Lightened Lemon Mayonnaise Dip

I use Giada De Laurentiis' recipe on the Food Network following her instructions to a "T" with a few exceptions:
  1. I only made sweet potato chips because they have more beta-carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin A than their white counterparts.
  2. The lemon mayonnaise dip is delicious, but to lighten it up I did half light mayo and half nonfat plain Greek yogurt.  It's a great way to cut down on fat and the yogurt provides a few extra grams of protein.



Spicy Steakhouse Burgers with Blue Cheese

Back in high school and when on break from college, I worked in a chain restaurant that specialized in gourmet burgers.  My version is  inspired by my absolute favorite I used to serve back in the day but much healthier.  I eliminated the fatty mayo and greasy fried onions from the original but kept all the distinct flavor.

  • 4 ground beef burgers
  • 4 whole wheat buns
  • Ground chipolte seasoning, to taste
  • 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
  • 1/4 cup of your favorite bottled steak sauce
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • Olive oil
Coat a skillet with olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute until caramel brown.  Meanwhile, season the burgers with chipolte depending on how much "kick" you prefer.  Grill to desired temperature.  Once done, add a burger to each whole wheat bun.  Top evenly with steak sauce, blue cheese crumbles, and sauteed onion.


**My tailgate recipes are lighter in calories, contain more real food ingredients, and/or provide more nutrients than their more traditional counterparts.  It's important to note that while these recipes are healthier in nature they do not necessarily reflect my eating habits for the remainder of the week.  Game time = my cheat time.  I tend to indulge more and break some of my rules once a week.  Because I'm often asked what I eat on a day-to-day basis, I will have an upcoming post on the subject to give you a better picture.



Let's go State!  Beat 'Bama!

No comments: