Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Rock Your Socks" Tropical Guac

IT'S FINALLY HERE!

It's time for college football, my friends.  Anyone who knows me knows capturing my attention on a Saturday from here until November is a lost cause.  Because I am entranced in nonstop coverage of college football all day and will never stray more than a 20 foot radius from the TV.  (Why 20 feet, you ask?  Because that's about how far away my kitchen is and that whole spread of ligthened up tailgate food isn't going to make itself, now is it?) 

Since it is technically not fall yet, the first tailgate of the season deserves a summery dish.  Guacamole is my specialty and recently I did an experiment inspired by a local Mexican restaurant who makes unbelievable varieties of my favorite green dip.  What hatched was nothing short of Caribbean heaven on a tortilla chip. 

It may sound like an odd combination but trust me on this one.  The addition of fruit gives it a subtle sweetness and a lot of extra vitamins.  Don't fear the amount of fat in the avocados or cashews either.  It's healthy fat your body needs.  While it is a calorically dense side dish, you can feel good that what you're stuffing your face with is NOT loaded with artificial ingredients and preservatives like some store-bought varieties.

"Rock Your Socks" Tropical Guac
  • 3-4 avocados
  • 1/4 cup white onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
  • 1 tbsp jalapeno, minced
  • 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • juice of 1-2 limes
  • 1/4 cup pineapple, diced
  • 1/4 cup mango, diced
  • 1/4 cup cashews, roughly chopped

First, slice the avocados in half and remove the pit.  Scoop insides into a bowl and mash.  I use a handheld potato masher for this.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix carefully.  If you prefer a creamier dip, add a tablespoon or two of sour cream.  Serve with tortilla chips or any other south-of-the-border fare desired. 



Note: my traditional guacamole recipe is all of the above minus the fruit and cashews.

For more munchies of a similar nature, try my pico de gallo and watermelon cucumber margaritas




Go PSU!  Beat Indiana State!

No comments: