Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Resolution Reality Check

Ever have big plans in mind for the year and then quickly realize there's less than four months left before you're due to make a new round of resolutions?  I had big goals in mind for 2011 as I'm sure many of you had too.  This was the year you were going to lose ten pounds.  This was the year you were going to pay off debt.  This year you were going to train for a half marathon.  Now that it's almost over, how’s your progress been?

If you're further from your goals than you originally intended it’s time to re-strategize and get to work. 

I’m big on writing things down and dissecting them further into strategies that are easily manageable.  But that isn’t enough.  You have to actually do it which is the hard part.

In a recent webinar on success secrets for females in the fitness industry, Rachel Cosgrove said she reads 30-60 minutes a day and goes through a book a week as part of personal and professional development.  For those of you who don’t know Rachel Cosgrove, THIS is why she’s such a well-respected figure in the fitness industry.

When I set my goals earlier this year, reading more was definitely one strategy I mapped out .  If I had to grade myself, eh, I’d give myself a B -.  Slightly above average, but definitely room for improvement.   I know I can earn an A if I tackle the huge pile of books I've purchased or borrowed earlier in the year.

How am I going to do this?  Well, I’ve mentioned before more time will never miraculously appear.  We all have the same 1,440 minutes in each day.  The difference between being successful or not comes down to how we prioritize them. 

Sometimes serious sacrifices have to be made.  Think about how you spend each minute of each day and which ones are being wasted.  Mine is through mindless TV watching.  I turn the TV on for background noise whenever I am home by myself.  I crash on the couch in front of it after dinner until I can muster up the energy to climb the stairs to my bedroom.  As challenging as it will be, keeping the TV off is the best way I will free up some more time to move closer to my goals. 

Photo by: reid

When all the new shows debut in a couple weeks, I will be limiting myself to three hours of leisure TV.  The time I gain from not watching can be better delegated towards accomplishing my goals, like reading more regularly.  Weighing one versus the other just made sense.  Yes, TV might entertain me for an hour or so, but life will go on as usual the next morning whether or not I know the current status of Meredith and McDreamy’s relationship on Grey’s Anatomy.  On the other hand, utilizing the time to read is an investment in myself.  When I wake up the next morning, I have new knowledge that brings me one step closer to reaching my goals.  Life does not go on as usual.  And in this case, it's a good thing.

What part of your life could use some de-cluttering?  If 2011 flew by and you’re not where you hoped to be, think about what you need to do to get there.  The result you achieve will only be equal to the effort you put forth.  Though some sacrifices will be made, the feeling of accomplishing a goal will be ten times more satisfying than any loss.

While you re-strategize, I'll be contemplating how to delegate my 3 hours of TV... 


 
Note:  The morning news, college football Saturdays, if when the Red Sox are in the World Series, and movie/date nights with my husband do NOT count towards my 3 hours of leisure TV time.  All of the above are essential to my sanity.

No comments: