Thursday, June 2, 2011

Whole Wheat Chicken Quesadillas

The other day a friend/personal training client told me I should write a cookbook after we spent half of our session talking about various recipes.  Umm, I don't know about a cookbook, but it was good inspiration for some new blog posts!

We rarely eat out in my household, so I do the majority of the cooking.  I hate not knowing what goes into my dish, exactly how it was prepared, whether or not someone spit in it, etc.  Preparing my own food gives me control of the ingredients, portion sizes, and preparation.  So I thought I'd start sharing some of the meals I conjure up on a regular basis.

Note:  I don't count calories so there's no breakdown.  There are tons of free websites out there if you want to know.  Also, maybe because I'm Italian (don't let the married Polish last name fool you) but I typically eyeball things rather than measure.  So if I neglect to give exact measurements, it's not a typo.  That's just how I roll. 

So on with my first blogged meal...

Whole Wheat Chicken Quesadillas

This is a quick and easy weeknight meal to throw together in a pinch.  The veggies, black beans, and whole wheat tortillas give it way more nutritional value than certain Mexican restaurant chains that serve what looks like dog food sandwiched in a shell. 

You'll need:
  • Cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (seasoned with sea salt and black pepper), cut into small pieces
  • Green and red pepper, diced
  • Mushroom, diced
  • Canned corn kernels, drained
  • Canned black beans, drained and rinsed
  • Whole wheat tortillas
  • Reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • Canola oil

Time saving tip:  Start cooking your chicken first.  Then chop your veggies and portion out the remaining ingredients while it cooks.


Heat a skillet to medium heat and lightly brush with canola oil.

Arrange a thin layer of shredded cheese over half of the tortilla.  Top with green and red pepper, mushrooms, corn, black beans, and chicken. 


Fold the tortilla in half and place on the skillet.  Place a weight on top of the quesadilla to flatten and press it.  I nestled a smaller skillet on top of mine.  Cook until the tortilla is a golden brown on each side and the cheese is melted.

Cut in half and serve with fat free sour cream and homemade guacamole**.  Enjoy!



**Maybe if you're lucky I'll share my signature guac recipe in the future.

No comments: