Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My "Big 5"

Forgive me while I get all "life coach-y" for a second, but I just have to share.  Burn some aromatherapy candles and put on some new age music if you really want to set the mood.

Earlier this month I attended the Perform Better 3-Day Functional Training Summit in Providence, Rhode Island (best conference ever, hands down).  All the leading industry experts had common threads: clearly written values and principles dictating how their businesses and lives operate.  Alwyn and Rachel Cosgrove's Results Fitness has ten core values.  Todd Durkin is big on the "Big 5".  Not only have they created their credo, they remind themselves of it daily and all their actions are inspired from it.

I decided to sit down and create my own "Big 5".  Nothing was flowing out of my pen the first couple times I tried.  No wonder why these people are so successful.  This is tough stuff!  I decided to give it one more shot and just like that everything fell into place.

My "Big 5"

1.  Love unconditionally
Do a favor without asking for one in return.  Give a compliment without it being backhanded.  Maintain a relationship without keeping score.  Sometimes it's hard to do but it is the most rewarding.  I truly believe when you are able let go of expecting something in return and give for the sole purpose of giving, you receive it tenfold.

2.  Fear only fear
Don't be afraid to make your move.  If you don't, you'll never get ahead.  Yes, the outcome may not be what you hoped for but at least you aren't left wondering.  When I'm scared or anxious about something, I remind myself of my skydiving experience a few years ago.  "Really?  You're afraid of *insert XYZ*?  You're afraid of XYZ, but you had no problem jumping out of a plane at 10,000 feet with some dude nicknamed 'The Flying Dutchman' attached to your back?"  Talk about perspective.  Note to self:  Go skydiving again for 30th birthday.

3.  Be great
To me, this means putting 100% into everything you do and leaving nothing on the table.  When you're training, don't wonder if you could've gotten another rep or sprinted faster.  Do it.  At the end of the work day, did you finish every task on your to-do list or were you on Facebook all day?  Rather than going through the motions put all your effort into a task.  It's a reflection of you.  Successful people aren't successful from half-assing everything. 

4.  Promote passion
Find what shakes you to your core and experience it often.  Are you an animal lover?  Do you channel your voice into writing or music?  Maybe you never miss a game of your favorite sports team.  Whatever it is, it should excite you and give you fire.  Make time for it.  It's good for your soul. 

5.  Sweat often
Of course I'm going to have one health-related item in my list.  Actually, I believe it holds more weight than the other four.  If you don't give 100% effort into taking care of your own body, you won't be able to give 100% anywhere else in your life.  Move your body, fuel it with whole foods, and give it adequate rest. 

*Bonus: Laugh daily
My first wedding anniversary is next week so in honor of that I threw in an extra.  Don't take yourself too seriously.  Laughter makes life so much more fun.  I can honestly say I've laughed every day for the past six years and 68 days because I'm lucky enough to have a partner in crime to be totally goofy with.

  Photo by Jerry McGaghey

Blow out those aromatherapy candles and turn off the chanting monks.  Hopefully I didn't lose you completely or make you gag too much.  The point is, you need to identify the values that are most important to you to be successful.  Then, live by them.  How you reach your goals, especially health-related ones, will be much clearer when you have a solid base of principles to spring from.

2 comments:

Valery said...

Awww! I like these. Very nice :)

Amanda Kopeski said...

Thanks!