Saturday, June 18, 2011

High Fiber/Protein Chicken Dinner in 20 Minutes

I purposely left out any mention of beans in the title because I wanted you to give it a chance.  Beans are awesome!  They are high in protein, fiber, potassium, iron, and folate.  In addition they're great if you're on a tight budget since they can replace or extend more expensive protein sources in a meal.

This recipe is from Cuisine Lite, a special edition of Cuisine at Home magazine.  The recipe boasts it can be made in 15 minutes or less, however I'm a bit of a slow chef so I upped mine to 20.


White Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Chicken

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup diced jarred roasted red peppers*
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp minced lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves**
  • salt and pepper to taste
Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Cook according to preference (grill, saute, poach, bake, etc.).  I did mine on a grill pan on top of the stove.


Combine beans, roasted red peppers, lemon juice, zest, parsely, and salt to taste.  Mix well.  I place the mixture over low heat, which is not instructed in the original recipe but I prefer the entire dish to be warm.


Spoon bean mixture over cooked chicken breasts and serve.  I paired this with a gigantic salad and it was a great, easy meal.


Let me know if you try it - enjoy!



* I roasted my own red peppers.  I just have beef with the jarred variety.  I never use the entire jar when I buy them and even though I refrigerate them, they go moldy on me in a blink of the eye.  So annoying.  Anyway, place a pepper cut side down on a baking sheet and place it under a broiler.  Remove it once the skin starts to blacken and place in a covered bowl.  This will make it sweat and make the skin easy to peel off once it's cooled.

** Fresh parsely came right from my deck.  I'm growing herbs for the first time and they're still alive two weeks later!  Just had to brag.

No comments: