Friday, April 22, 2011

Favorites: The New Rules of Lifting

A year ago, I discovered The New Rules of Lifting series and I haven't been the same since.  These books, written by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove, have seriously changed the way I train my clients and myself.  They've opened me up to a whole new world of like-minded fitness rock stars that I aspire to be.  It goes without saying that I highly recommend the series.

There's not necessarily anything new about the rules, but that's the best part.  When it comes to fitness we like to complicate things and fall for the latest and greatest gimmick.  Instead, we should be working our bodies how they're supposed to be worked, with compound exercises through all planes of motion.  To that, add wholesome foods for fuel and you have your strongest body ever.

I first started with The New Rules of Lifting for Women.  "Lift like a man, look like a goddess," you say?  Yes please!  Schuler, Cosgrove, and Casandra Forsythe (who contributed the nutrition information) echoed what I live by.  Ladies shouldn't fear the weights and should train no differently than men.





Then I backtracked and devoured the original version: The New Rules of Lifting.  This one was filled with even more programs specialized by goal.  Pick from fat-loss, hypertrophy, or strength.  Better yet, mix and match them all.   





In December 2010, Schuler and Cosgrove pushed boundaries even more with The New Rules of Lifting for Abs based on new research on the actual function of our core.  Awesome stuff, people.





So trade in the bodybuilder workouts.  No more wasting an hour in the gym to train "arms", guys.  Ladies, step away from the plastic-coated hand weights and discover how strong you really are.  Train smarter and get better results!

 

1 comment:

Celia said...

Ut oh...I think Monday is REALLY going to hurt...